Ah…the days before Christmas. It’s when Superstore is open for 24 hours. Shoppers make their last minute shopping for their groceries and other items. Well, that’s what Grease Monkey and I did when we had our Holiday Cookie Adventure. He went shopping for ingredients at the last minute and forgot the ginger! Oh noes!
Poor dude had to drive back to Superstore to get a ginger root around past midnight and the cashier thought that he was nuts for buying a ginger root that cost around less than 15 cents! :) <3 you for joining me in my Cookie adventure!
Hey anything goes with PetiteFoodie’s Cookie Adventures! (That’s why it’s divided into another part because I did another Cookie Adventure!)
The cookie that we made on this Holiday Cookie Adventure is the Chewy Chocolate-Gingerbread Cookies. This recipe was given to me by a coworker that swears that this cookie is one of her family’s favorites. I hope that this will become one of yours too. These chewy cookies are chewy with a nice hit of ginger and molasses. The semi sweet chocolate provided a chocolaty sweetness to the gingerbread cookie.
Here are some shots of the Cookie Adventure!
Chewy Chocolate-Gingerbread Cookies
Makes 2 dozen
- 7 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup dark-brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment. Chop chocolate into 1/4-inch chunks; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking-soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. Mix in chocolate; turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Pat dough out to about 1 inch thick; seal with wrap; refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or more.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Roll dough into 1 1/2- inch balls; place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe from Martha Stewart Cookies.